1. 💸 For as long as radio has existed, so has pay-for-play
Read Rolling Stone’s coverage on the not-so-secret tradition of paying-for-plays and how it’s affected the radio game
2. 🍽️ Would you like a side of cool, hip vibes with your steak?
Eater’s Hilary Canvan investigates why all “cool” restaurants seem to play the same songs.
3. 🎛️ Teenage Engineering is changing the electronic music game with a $60 synth
Making a tool more accessible is sure to influence the music itself — read more at The New York Times.
4. 👩🏽 What was it like as a woman working in music before the internet?
Get insight from 17 women (from artists to talent scouts) working well into the millennium in this multi-interview piece by Topic.
5. 👀 Katy Perry’s Dark Horse lawsuit sets up a tricky precedent
According to The Fader, this recent decision could introduce more restrictions to creative freedom.
6. 🍎 Apple Music rebrands their hip-hop playlist as “Rap Life”
Responding to the “speed of culture,” Apple Music’s rebrands their hip-hop playlist.
RETURN TO TOP